Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Yo Gabba Gabba Cake Pops!

When I received a request to make Yo Gabba Gabba Cake pops, I was nervous and wasn't sure I could do it.  I did a test run and I'm happy with the results!


This was time consuming! I just followed the basic steps on how to make cake pops from Bakerella and shaped them based on the character.


Brobee

Brobee was one of the simple ones to make.  He's a round cake pop dipped in green candy melts.  I used jumbo red heart sprinkles for his... um, hair?  Horns?  What is it?  I drew his unibrow with a black edible marker, I did this first so I wouldn't put the edible candy eyeballs too high,  I used Karo light corn syrup and a brush to glue the eyes on and I piped his mouth with red candy melts.

Plex

Plex was a little trickier because I wasn't sure what I could use for the black part of his face. I found this small square candy mold, piped black candy melts in the mold and popped them out.  Once I dipped Plex in the yellow candy melts, I stuck the black square candy on, placed a red m&m on top and let it dry.  Once dried, I glued on the eyes.

Muno

Muno!  He was my favorite to do.  I dipped him in red and sprinkled him with red nonpareil sprinkles and let him dry.  I felt like I scored when I found these extra large size candy eyes at my local specialty cake store, Classic Cake.  I tried different versions for his mouth, but I didn't like how they came out so I left it out. 

Foofa

I left the ladies for last. Foofa's head is shaped like a tear drop.  Once dipped, I placed the white Jumbo Daisy Sprinkles on the tip of her head.  I let her dry, glued on her eyes and used the edible marker to draw on eyelashes and lips.


Toodee

Toodee was the hardest to do because I just couldn't get her to look exactly like the actual character.  I used the medium candy eyes at first, (top picture) but it got humid, she started sweating and and I had to redo her.  I used white ghiradelli chocolate chips for her eyes and drew in the eyeballs with an edible pen.  I would recommend using giradelli white chocolate chips because they're bigger and flatter than the nestle tollhouse ones.  I did use Nestle Tollhouse chips for the ears. 

When I finished making them I was so happy, I did a dance!  I do like to dance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...